Whole Lotta Linky Day 4!

Wow it's Day 4 of Clutter-Free Classroom's Prompt of the Day Linky Party! I've been having a lot of fun with this, so let's see what today's prompt is:

Recipe
Share a recipe that you often make during the school year. Bonus points will be awarded if your recipe freezes well or can be made in a crockpot.

Hmmm! This one is a bit harder for me. I am not a morning person, so I am rarely up in time to throw anything in a crockpot before work. I've tried getting it all ready the night before, but I usually end up forgetting to turn the crockpot on before I leave the house! But, I do have one recipe that would freeze just fine, if I ever decided to make 2 batches at once, which come to think of it is a very good idea!

Mrs. Knopf's Shepherd's Pie
I learned this recipe from my mother and have adapted it over the years.

Ingredients:
2lbs ground beef
1lb bag frozen peas & carrots (you can use canned veggies if you prefer)
1lb bag frozen corn
12 servings mashed potatoes (I cheat and use instant mashed potatoes, but it's even better with the real thing, use 2-3lbs of real potatoes)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Worcestershire sauce (my family loves it so I use a lot, but you might want to use this sparingly if you're not familiar with the taste)
onion
salt & pepper

1. Brown ground beef with minced onion, season with salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce to taste.
2. Layer cooked ground beef in bottom of 13x9 inch casserole dish.
3. Layer veggies over ground beef.
4. Prepare mashed potatoes as usual, then layer over top of vegetable layer.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 375.
6. Pull out of oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese and return to oven to bake until cheese it melted.

The thing I love about this is that the layers don't mix very much unless you want them to. My kids prefer to eat the meat, veggies and potatoes separately while my husband mixes it all together lol. If your kids aren't picky like mine then you can mix the veggies in the pan to cook with the meat and then it will take less time in the oven. Hope you like it!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Sounds delicious! Just stumbled on your blog from the recipe linky. I don't have a teacher blog...just a homey blog. :)

I am a teacher in Edmond, OK. Glad to find you!

Jennifer K. said...

@Stacey

Thank you Stacy! Isn't it a small world!

Popular Posts