Make Way for Ducklings!

Our ducks are hatching! Yep, little buggers are just as bad as the chickens - can't hatch during the school week but the second the weekend hits they're all about hatching! I'm actually glad it didn't happen at school though as one of the ducklings pipped on the wrong side of the egg and basically suffocated in the shell :(  One of the other eggs hatched overnight so we woke to a cute little baby. There are two more eggs that should hatch today and everything seem alright with them, so I should have 3 healthy ducklings to take back to school with me on Monday!

 Have to share this picture too, one of our little neighbors came over to show us the butterfly that decided to take up residence on her hand - pretty little thing sat on her hand for over 1/2 hour!

Oh yes, I have to share that I showed a video on Friday afternoon. I usually am not into videos or television at school at all, but my next door neighbor was out and her assistant leaves 1/2 hour before school is over, so I had my 20 plus her 25 at the end of the day! Time to break out a video! Luckily I had  picked up this 3 dvd set a few weeks ago since it had Splat the Cat on it so I quickly put it up on my Smartboard. My principal chose that moment to stick her head in my door and I was quaking, thinking - "Oh great, first time all week that she's come to my room and here I am showing a movie!" but I showed her that it had the captions and that we had read other books in the series and she was fine with it! The 2nd dvd in the set has  a bunch of duck related stories on it, so we will probably watch those on Monday to celebrate our new ducklings!


And, as promised, here is my freebie. I meant to post this last night, but my laptop decided to overheat on me so I decided to let it rest overnight. Luckily all seems fine this morning! In honor of our new little friends, I made an -ing game! I thought about making an -uck game but decided that could get dicey in the classroom lol. Just click here download it for free!

UPDATE: Another duckling has hatched! I got almost the whole thing on video, but right before he pushed his way out of the shell my camera card ran out of room :(  I will upload the videos tonight and share them tomorrow. Now we just need the last egg to hatch for our little duckling family to be complete. It is so incredible how the ducklings help each other out of the egg and encourage each other. Right now Ming and Ping are laying next to Ling's egg, peeping to him. They are just precious!

6 comments:

Heather Shelton said...

How stinkin cute! My room has catepillars and I got some for my daughters when we ordered them at school. So of course come Friday afternoon mine at home began hanging in a J getting ready to Chrysallis. And by Saturday night all six were done. So I figure I will go to school tomorrow to find six Chrysallis there as well. I just hope they don't decide to come out next weekend and the kids miss that part as well. Can't wait to see the duck hatching video.
Heather
Mrs. Shelton’s Kindergarten

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, how adorable!!

Kara
Spedventures

Kimberley Moran said...

Love your pics of ducks and chicks! I wish we could do that. Also, we must have the same brain this week because my spelling list is -ing words. This is so perfect! Thanks!

Kimberley
First in Maine

School Sparks Renee said...

What fun! Those chicks are adorable. Renee

Lori said...

Oh, the ducklings are soo cute! Love the names!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Busy Bees said...

Sweet...this is the first year that I have not done chicks. I miss it!!
Robynn
BusyBees

Popular Posts